Monday, October 24, 2011

Him

I've never really let myself be fully invested in anyone. I guess you could say it was programmed in a long time ago. Probably a cocktail of my parents' divorce, failed friendships and what I saw in the world. Who knows. The way I saw it, if you never give away all the pieces of the puzzle, there's never a finished product for the mean kids to destroy. I think there's only ever been two people who've almost seen it all. One guy and one girl.

It was easy to be friends with him. It was natural at 12. We had similar interests: we played sports together, liked the same music, lived a couple of blocks away, liked to get into trouble. He was everything you could ask for in a best friend. Our friendship grew over the years with only a few small fights. We talked about everything-girls, making out with girls, friends, school, family, life, religion, nothing was off limits. We talked to each other as if we were brothers. Of course, I thought of him as more than a friend at times but it went against all the defenses I'd developed so every time it surfaced, I buried it deeper than before.

Once, he asked me if I would ever consider being with a guy-being gay. Panic overcame every fiber of my being, Is he serious? Is this a trap? Could he know something? "No. Why?" I answered. trying to stay calm. "Just wondering. Why wouldn't you?" He pressed. "I don't know. It just wouldn't feel right," I replied. At that moment in my 13-year-old existence, I felt like I failed myself. I lied to the only person I'd ever felt I could and would tell anything to for no reason. I knew he'd been open to the idea but I refused to go there.

We stayed close into high school. I found a different group of friends but I always knew if I needed anything, he'd be there. He, myself and another friend from middle school would hang out from time to time. The three of us could not see each other for months and pick up right where we left off. Toward the end of high school, we all got together for a memorable drunken night. I had no idea just how memorable it would be. I got so drunk I lost pieces of the night-that never happens to me.

We were at a summer house with a bunch of beds in one room so we all crashed out together. As we laid down, we talked just like we did during sleepovers when we were younger. I stretched my hand out and brushed his by accident. I thought nothing of it. Then, his hand hit mine with a lingering touch. This isn't happening. In my drunken state, I didn't have the will power to pretend. I broke through and reached out. My hand brushed his intentionally. This time, I let my hand linger with a soft touch. Please let this be real. I hoped. Then it happened, his hand touched mine and held on. I grasped his hand tight as if I were holding the only real thing I'd ever felt. We laid like that for what seemed like hours. The next day neither of us said a word. We let it go just like our hands eventually had to the previous night.

I brought it up one night years later on one of our walk 'n' talks. We'd been doing them for almost as long as we'd been friends. I was confused and had been ever since that night. We both had girlfriends but I had to know.
"Are we ever going to talk about that night?" I asked.
"What night?"
"The night at the cabin," I advanced.
"Oh... What do you want to talk about?"
"I don't know, what happened... Why it happened."
"I don't know what happened. I guess our love for each other just came out in a different way. I can't really explain it. Let's walk a little more."
We walked into the darkness a little more idling in small talk. I could feel something different in the air. We walked up a hill and he stopped at the top. He turned toward me and we looked each other in the eye, our faces inches from each other. We leaned in slowly. My heart was beating out of control like a jackhammer at full power without an operator. Just centimeters separated us now...  Reality snapped back into focus. I pulled back. "I can't," he said. Holy shit. "Me neither," I returned. I couldn't allow myself to go there, especially like that-as a cheater. We walked back mostly in silence until he asked, "So, are you gay?" Still shaking, I responded "No. Just doing what felt right, you?" I almost hoped he'd say yes. "Na, I don't think so," he concluded. We never mentioned either night again.

Our friendship faded over the years. I convinced myself I'd given too much, shown too much of myself and went back to only giving enough to keep people satisfied but always wanting more. It was the only time I ever really crept close to the barricade in front of my closet door. After that, I put the whole thing in a box, threw it on the top of the barricade and ran in the opposite direction toward an imaginary world at the back of my closet.

I'm creeping back toward the door again and unpacking the boxes I used for leverage. Each is filled with something I never wanted to show. For the first time I'm not afraid of the things in here with me. Maybe that's progress, I don't really know. I hope so.

From my closet door to yours, hang in there and happy unpacking.

8 comments:

  1. Very, very nice writing. I love that sentence about creeping back towards the door again, unpacking the boxes used for leverage. The notion of two young guys on the brink, neither able to decide or willing to express their true feelings is one that strikes a chord with many of us, I think. Wouldn't it be a great world if categories such as gay and straight didn't exist and no-one had to worry about negative reactions from family, friends or society? Oh well, dream on...
    Keep writing, man. I look forward to whatever you're going to say next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too lived in a barricaded closet, just like yours, for many years. I would never let anyone take even a peek inside. I constructed elaborate defences, held pictures of happy faces up at the windows, gave the impression that life was good, became a master of deceit. Inside the fortress I worked ceaselessly to keep the charade going. I became so institutionalised inside my tower that even when the occasional knight-in-shining-armour rode by I would keep the shutters firmly closed. Eventually it started to become just too much of an effort, I left the door open and let some sympathetic visitors in, they couldn't understand why I lived that way. Encouraged, I started to leave the door ajar more often. Then one day someone came along and cared enough to stay. He helped me to demolish my elaborate fortifications. I realised afterwards that my only loss along the way had been all the wasted time and effort I'd invested in building and maintaining that place. I’d lived that way far too long and regret much of it, please don't make the same mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, outstanding writing, keep unpacking the boxes, sometimes it not easy seams overwheling but it can be accompulished, one box at a time. Go slow your doing great, remember everyone that is out at one time was were you are now.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really beautiful story. It's not your reaching out to someone you love, sharing too much of yourself that's the problem. Being raised to believe that expressing true, honest feelings for someone you care about is wrong, thats the problem. We're all trying to find ways to overcome that deep seated reaction. The one that tells us to pull back, not to be ourselves. I hope you run into him again some day when your more comfortable with this. Keep unpacking those boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome blog, thanks for sharing. Are you and this guy still in touch? Do you think you will share your journey with him?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Extremely well written. Did the friendship fade because you let it fade, or did he drift away?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing. My heart was beating faster as your story went on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe this made me tear on my left eye.

    This is what makes me weak, being in that very moment where you both have the chance, but then you realize you have to do the right thing. But it didn't mean that you two shouldn't be friends anymore, I'm curious as well, I want to ask too what STEVE DOUGAN had asked "Did the friendship fade because you let it fade, or did he drift away?" .. I also had questions run in my mind after reading, what if you two didn't have girlfriends that time? what if he told you that he liked you? what would you have done? what if you had confessed earlier, what do you think might have happened? Have you ever thought maybe, just maybe, he liked you too but since you showed conviction with what you said and showed him, that you didn't have feelings for him. what if all those years from the very beginning when he asked you if you would ever consider being with a guy-being gay, he have had hidden his feelings for you, and that on that night he was about to confess but you insisted not to fall in, what if he had told you he loved you? gaaah. :'(

    what if? what if?

    ReplyDelete